Thursday November 21, 2019
Whether home growing your own cannabis flower or picking up some tasty nugs from a dispensary, there’s something about the process of rolling and smoking a cannabis joint that makes the experience so much more rewarding. Though we’ve discussed the basic procedure for rolling a joint in the past, today we want to discuss another element of the whole doobie-rolling process: rolling a filtered joint.
Why Use a Filter in a Joint?
A filter, or crutch, is a great way to improve the joint smoking experience by improving airflow, maintaining the integrity of a joint, and blocking little bits of weed from hitting the back of the throat upon inhale. Additionally, many joint-rolling experts use filters as a form of creative expression, for example, by shaping them into a pot leaf or other 420-friendly symbol.
How to Roll a Filtered Joint
Filters are the stiff cardboard-like paper on the mouth end of most dispensary joints. Though most dispensaries use pre-formed “cones” in which to stuff ground cannabis, you can roll something similar using regular rolling papers and a crutch or piece of card stock. There are even brands that make books of filter tips that allow you to roll a filter consistently every time.
To roll a filtered joint, gather the following items:
What You'll Need:
- Rolling papers such as Raw or Element brands
- Cardboard crutch or a 1X2” piece of untreated cardboard stock
- Fully cured cannabis flower, ground
- Herb grinder
- Begin by grinding about half to one gram of cannabis flower into a soft texture then set to the side
- Next, hold the unused filter or card stock by the short side and fold quarter-inch of the filter up toward the opposite end
- Turn the filter over and fold another quarter-inch up toward the opposite end so that an accordion shape starts to form
- Turn the filter paper over and fold a third time, creating an “M” or “W” shape. There should be just over an inch of unfolded filter at this time. You can also make a spiral shape instead of a “W” if you prefer
- Hold the three folded sections together and wrap the remaining unfolded filter around the three folds so that the “W” is wrapped in the rest of the filter
- At this point, you should have a round filter with the letter “W” (or “M”) proudly displayed in the middle
- You can adjust the size of the filter by tightening or loosening the wrap around the “W. Set your filter to the side
- For the next step, hold a rolling paper in your non-dominant hand with the glue strip farthest away from you
- Sprinkle your ground bud along the crease of the paper ensuring even distribution across the length of the paper. Place your filter along one side of the paper, usually the side closest to your non-dominant hand
- Pinch the rolling paper between your thumbs and index fingers and roll gently back and forth until the cannabis begins taking a cigarette shape
- Once the bud has taken form, roll the flower to the base of the paper (closest to your body), tuck the end of the paper closest to you between the rolled flower and the other side of the paper then gently roll up so that the flower becomes trapped inside of the paper. Lick the glue strip on the rolling paper then finish rolling to glue the loose end in place.
If necessary, you can push the filter back inside of the joint, ensuring that there is no gap between the filter and the cannabis inside of the joint. Use a pen or other tool to poke cannabis from the end opposite of the filter deep into the joint then twist the end to hold all cannabis in place and give you an easy place to light your joint. Take a moment to admire your work them spark it up, and enjoy!
We love using filters on our home-rolled joints. Do you? Share your thoughts, tips and techniques in the comments below!