Is medical marijuana legal in New York?
Yes, medical marijuana has been legal in New York State since July 2014 when Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the Compassionate Care Act into law.
Can patients under 18 register for the program?
Yes, underage patients can obtain a license by having a person 21 or older submit their application. The applicant can designate up to two caregivers that are either a:
- Legal guardian
- A person designated by the parent or guardian
- Department approved person that has proven no parent or legal guardian is possible
How long is my medical marijuana card valid for?
Cards are valid for one year, then require renewal. Terminal patients can receive permission to use until the end of their lives as well.
How much medical marijuana can I buy/possess?
Patients can possess up to a 30 day supply at any given time.
Where can I buy medical marijuana in New York?
Certified patients can obtain medical marijuana from any registered dispensary organization in the state.
Can Non-New Yorkers apply for a card?
Yes, if an applicant does not have a New York license, they can submit one or more of these documents:
- Copy of a current lease
- Utility bill
- Hospital bill
- Other Department approved documents
What types of cannabis does New York State allow patients to consume?
Patients can consume medical marijuana via:
- Vape Pens
- Tinctures or other sublingually administered products
- Capsules, tablets, lozenges
- Topicals such as transdermal patches, lotions and ointments
What areas prohibit cannabis consumption in New York?
New York State law prohibits vaporization consumption in the following areas:
- Job sites
- Bars Food service establishments
- Enclosed indoor public spaces
- Public mass transit vehicles
- Boarding areas
- Youth centers
- Detention centers
- Child care services
- Group homes
- Residential treatment facilities
- Colleges and universities
- General hospitals
- Commercial establishments
- Indoor arenas
Does New York accept out of state medical marijuana licenses?
No, New York does not accept out of state cards.
Can I grow my own medical marijuana at home?
No, state regulations prohibit home cultivation. All medical marijuana must be legally purchased from a registered organization.