Is marijuana legal in Montana?

Both recreational and medical marijuana are legal in Montana. The state legalized recreational cannabis with the passing of I-190 in the November 2020 election. Medical marijuana is legal for qualified patients with a state-approved medical marijuana card as well.

How long is my medical cannabis ID valid?

Cards are typically valid for one year, though a physician can specify shorter time periods. Once issued, cardholders must have their card and photo ID on their person at all times.

Can minors enroll in the program?

Yes, parents or guardians can apply for the minor by completing the minor card application or being approved as a Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP). From there, they must receive the standard physician approval that is signed by two doctors.

Can nonresidents enroll in the program?

No, Montana state law (pdf) allows for only legal residents to participate.

Where can I buy marijuana in Montana?

While Recreational (adult-use) cannabis has been legalized in the state, dispensaries are not yet open, and will likely not be until 2022.

Registered medical marijuana patients may purchase cannabis from a state-approved provider they have named. Providers may sell cannabis to registered cardholders through dispensaries that have been licensed by the state.

Where can I consume medical marijuana in Montana?

Cannabis must be consumed on private property out of public view. To be specific, the state bans consumption at the following locations:

  • Healthcare facilities
  • School or postsecondary schools
  • Any property owned or leased by a school or postsecondary school
  • School bus or public transit
  • Public parks, beaches and rec/youth centers
  • Places of worship
  • The open public
  • Any location where children's health could be affected

Can I grow my own marijuana in Montana?

Yes. I-190 allows adults residents of Montana 21 and older to grow no more than four marijuana plants and four seedlings for personal use in their residence, as long as the plants are within an enclosed area with a lock and beyond public view.

Medical marijuana patients can also grow their own cannabis, but if that is the case they cannot have a designated provider and must notify the state department of their grow location on the property. If planning to cultivate on rental property, the individual must provide a signed and notarized Landlord Permission Form.

If I decide to grow my own medicinal cannabis, will my name be given to law enforcement?

No, however, law enforcement can call the state department to verify a cardholder’s status. Additionally, home cultivators are required to inform the department of the location of the grow.

Does having a license give the authorities probable cause to search me or my property?

No, state law notes that a registry ID card or license does not satisfy as probable cause.

Can I get fired for medical marijuana consumption?

Yes, state law allows for employers to discipline employees if medicinal marijuana impairs job-related performances.

I'm from out of state, will Montana honor my medical card?

Yes, with restrictions. Montana offers reciprocity to out-of-state cardholders for possession and consumption. However, out-of-state cardholders are not permitted to shop at Montana dispensaries.